Is it possible to adapt this project for windows 8 metro UI?

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Hello. I have been working on an app for professional chemists and students. The app does very complex chemistry calculations that make life easier for chemists and students. I am developing a desktop version parallel to the metro version.

My next ambition for it is to add a 3-D modeling tool for the app. Remember those little colorful molecules back in school you used to build chemical compounds to see what they look like? That's what I aim to do for my app.

I'm a full time engineer for my day job, so I do not have enough time to learn the various game engines. Particularly when there is zero documentation for sharpdx.

Is it possible to adapt this project of yours for windows 8 metro? What you have is very thorough and easy to understand for an amateur like myself. Again, I've spent days trying to learn other ways, but there are little to no documentation for them. They seem to be written more for professional devs instead of amateurs like myself.

Well done, by the way.
Coordinator
Oct 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Thank you for your question. Sorry for the late reply. As far as I can tell right now, it is not possible to use SlimDX (on which the engine is based)
in Metro Apps. I will be able to look into this deeper in November.

I installed Visual Studio 2013 to look if there are special Metro Wizzards and there is an App Wizzard for projects with DirectX and C++.
At the moment, it seems you have use C++ and DirectX, or use SharpDX.

Regarding the documentation: Both, SlimDX and SharpDX, wrap the native C++ code. If you compare for example
the SlimDX documentation with the DirectX documentation, they are pretty close. Even the names of functions
Classes are nearly identical. I haven't had the time to use SharpDX, but by skimming through the documentation, it seems
to be pretty close to SlimDX and you should have little problems to migrate the engine yourself.

Anyway, I will be able to look at this in more depth in November.
Nov 2, 2013 at 11:32 AM
To do in Windows 8, slimdx is not compatible, only SharpDX.
Furthermore, the Effect section of slimdx is depreciated. Although it could be possible to use SharpDX.Direct3D11.Effect, it seems that SharpDX.ToolKit.Effect is a better option. One of the challenges to port SlimDX to Windows 8 platform. Any feedback is appreciated.

Dave